Billings Clinic Surgical Services (OR)Charge Specialist in Billings / Billings, Montana
Job Description: Assists with support and maintenance of information in the Surgery Center/Surgical Services information systems applications. Performs preference card maintenance, patient charge management, inputting of patient data, compiling statistics for management reports, and assists other department personnel with system issues. Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards.
Essential Job Functions
• Supports and models behaviors consistent with Billings Clinic's mission, vision, values, code of business conduct and service expectations. Meets all mandatory organizational and departmental requirements. Maintains competency in all organizational, departmental and outside agency standards as it relates to the environment, employee, patient safety or job performance.
• Performs daily audits of perioperative records checking for completeness and correctness working with staff to make needed correction or changes. Assists in ensuring the daily totals and monthly reports are accurate. Verifies the integrity of data exchanges through the interfaces such as ADT, patient billing and MMI systems through the use of reports, quality monitoring and regular audits. Identifies issues and coordinates with appropriate resources for resolution.
• a) Works with Coding Specialist and Information Services staff to troubleshoot charge issues, late charges, and release of a ccounts for billing purposes.
• b) Reviews reports of manual and/or suspended charges
• c) Review daily interface upload errors and notifies appropriate individuals of needed corrections.
• Performs maintenance of and updates to Surgery Center/Surgical Services charge sheets. Conducts charge management audits, correlating charge packet information with the procedure, identifying missed or incorrect charges and ensuring accurate data. Inputs data into the computer information system, including patient charges and data entry and reporting.
• Acts as a primary point person for the assigned applications or information management systems for the Surgery Center/Surgical Services.
• a) Provides for support for surgery center/surgical services applications such as registration, charge entry, perioperative patient records. Assists surgeons with documentation/CPOE.
• b) Participates in the troubleshooting, identification, documentation and resolution of system problems
• c) Acts as a liaison between users and Information Services and coordinates issues with the appropriate internal departments to ensure timely and accurate resolution.
• d) Participates in the planning processes for system changes and/or enhancements. Coordinates with Information Services for system upgrades and/or enhancements by assisting with testing, debugging, and problem identification and resolution. Works closely with the vendor to identify addition of new system interfaces and/or changes as appropriate.
• e) Add new items and/or manufacturers to the SurgiNet inventory management system; for Surgical Services in Optiflex and Lawson.
• f) Add new approved procedure codes; obtain CPT codes & CDM's when necessary.
• g) For Surgical Services, maintains, audits, and validates the required organic logs and records.
• Provides ongoing staff and physician education and support as needed for applica tions. Coordinates user education and training in coordination with Nursing Education, Billings Clinic University and Information Services training resources. Conducts and manages the in-service training process which includes analysis of training needs, development and creation of effective presentations and evaluation of on-going training needs.
• Assists with SurgiNet and supply chain inventory management; for Surgical Services assists with same in Lawson/Cerner/Optiflex. Requests repairs/maintenance as needed in the Surgery Center/ Surgical Services areas.
• Works collaboratively with the OR Business Specialist and Surgery Center/ Surgical Services Leadership to coordinate the revenue cycle and financial operations within the Surgery Center/Surgical Services in order to better support quality, cost effective clinical outcomes. Works in concert with Surgery Center/Surgical Services staff in accessing, extracting, synthesizing and verifying clinical and/or financ ial information. Works collaboratively with Decision Support and/or Supply Chain Operations staff to compile clinical/financial analyzes
• a) Generates a variety of ongoing reports and statistics. Assists with running and execution of monthly, quarterly, and/or annual reports as needed.
• Identifies needs and sets goals for own growth and development; meets all mandatory organizational and departmental requirements.
• Maintains competency in all organizational, departmental and outside agency environmental, employee or patient safety standards relevant to job performance.
• Performs other duties as assigned or needed to meet the needs of the department/organization.
• a) Cross-trained to provide back-up support for the OR Surgical Aide/OR supply chain techs for surgical services
• b) Cross-trained to provide back-up registration support for the scheduling of pain patients (SC only)