Montana State University Billings Associate Dean of Student Engagement in Billings, Montana
The Associate Dean provides leadership and direction for Housing & Residence Life, Parent & Family Programs and Student Conduct. In addition, in concert with the Dean of Student Engagement, the Associate Dean represents the Division by serving as a point of contact for our students’ parents and families. The incumbent also serves as one of the main Conduct Officer (as delegated by the Vice Chancellor for Student Access and Success and also serves as a member of the Title IX team. The position is directly responsible for the overall operations and fiscal management of Housing & Residence Life, and the supervision of all professional staff; assists in the oversight of summer conferencing operations; maintains annual goals; achieve desired occupancy; coordinates facilities management. This position also represents the Student Access and Success Division on the University emergency crisis communication committee and plays a role in creating and implementing campus emergency response plans. This position must work closely with the Chief Information Office/IT for items related to StarRez implementation, Maxient usage, and other technical items used for hall security and resident student services.
• Responsible for the administration of the Housing and Residence Life program, which includes management of the budget and supervision of administrative staff, and respective hall director(s), who will implement the day-to-day operations of the program.
• Manage the general operations of the Housing & Residence Life Office
• Develop, analyze, and update all policies and procedures related to the operations of the Housing and Residence Life program.
• Provide supervision and mentoring for one or two hall directors (dependent on occupancy of residence halls) on matters related to personnel (hiring, training, supervision evaluation of resident assistants), activities programming, housing contracts, maintenance and custodial issues, student disciplinary process, academic support programs, leadership training, and other administrative matters.
• Create thematic residential communities aimed at enhancing learning activities, student development, and retention. Assist other student access success team members and campus officials in matters related to enrollment management, marketing, and retention planning.
• Work closely with Academic Affairs to determine how best to implement residential living learning communities and to embed vibrant academic support within the residence halls.
• Work with the University Budget team, the Director of Facilities Services, and Center for Engagement professional staff to coordinate the overall maintenance, custodial services, and repair and replacement program for the Petro/Rimrock/Student Union complex, Family Housing, and Apsaruke Hall.
• Develop, implement, and maintain an auxiliary long-range facilities master plan for the housing operations.
• Work closely with the Dean of Student Engagement to oversee the Dining Services (Sodexo) food service contract; meet regularly with the dining team to communicate and coordinate
• Dining Services at both the University Campus, and City College.
• Work in partnership with Athletics to support the student athlete residential experience.
• Serve as the building manager and coordinate rental space for respective residence life facilities,e.g. Apsaruke Hall.
• Serve as part of the Residence life Professional Staff on call rotation
• Serve as a member of the COVID Incident Command team and assist with all aspects of managing COVID operations within the residence halls.
STUDENT CONDUCT/STUDENTS OF CONCERN:
• As designated by the Vice Chancellor for Student Access and Success, serve as one of the main student judicial/conduct officer for the campus (University Campus, City College, including residence halls).
• Implement and monitor Maxient software. Provide training and updates to all those who are able to use Maxient and assist in training campus colleagues (UPD, Registrar, City College staff, etc.) on use of the incident reporting tools.
• Maintain all records related to student conduct and campus police incident reports and Coordinate student conduct team meetings (beyond residence hall conduct team meetings) and others, maintaining records and minutes (where/when appropriate) from meetings.
• Oversee the Insight program and coordinate wellness initiatives with Student Health Services - Wellness programs.
• Assist with marketing and promoting the See Something Say something initiative and assist with managing all student cases submitted through the system.
• Oversee and facilitate the Conduct Review team (CRT)
• Assist with coordinating semester workshops related to student success/support.
PARENT & FAMILY PROGRAMS:
• Continue to develop Parent & Family Program initiatives. Webpage Newsletter
• Coordinate and facilitate the parent program for MSUB Preview Days, University Connections
• Orientation and Summer Orientation programs.
• In partnership with the University Police Administration, provide support for annual CleryReporting:
• Collect and manage Clery reportable statistics through Maxient in collaboration with the University Police Department
• Ensure Clery compliance within all aspects of Housing & Residence Life
• Attend annual Clery training
Student Access and Success Team Member:
• Attend all Division Director meetings
• Serve on University Committee related to emergency preparedness and response, student behavior (e.g. Student Consultation Team), facilities planning, and enrollment management (inclusive of orientation).
• Coordinate respective departments’ participation in divisional and university wide events.
• Attend evening and weekend events as necessary.
• Communicate statistics regarding student participation, activities, programs, etc., as needed
• Serve as on call administrator for campus emergency response
• Update website, brochures, student handbook, and forms as directed and needed
• Represent Division of Student Access and Success on assigned committees
• Attend trainings, retreats, and planning sessions as needed
• Maintain a high profile at student programs and athletic events
• Assist with the development and coordination of student life initiatives
• Perform other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications - Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills
• Bachelor’s Degree and Three (3) to five (5) years successful leadership experience in a student affairs and student success operations.
• Compelling vision of the role of student engagement and student services, including a residential education, in the overall educational experience of students and the ability to advance this vision in a resource-constrained environment.
• Direct experience working within a housing and residence life environment
• The ability to work to support and assist students in a variety of capacities.
• A commitment to inclusion, equity, and diversity.
• A consultative, collegial style and the ability to inspire trust in others.
• Excellent written communication skills, and the ability to speak persuasively to a variety of audiences, including students, parents, faculty, alumni, donors, staff, and community representatives.
• Experience with crisis management in a higher education environment
• A Management style that builds confidence in staff, promotes teamwork, enhances creativity and motivation, and builds consensus in a high-energy and high-task environment.
• Minimum of three (3) years’ professional experience within ResidenceLife
• Ability to work successfully with a large constituency base (students, parents, colleagues, community, alumni)
• Experience supervising full-time professional and student staff
• Strong project management skills, including the ability to oversee and track multiple ongoing projects simultaneously
• Experience utilizing software programs such as Maxient, Starrez
• Experience managing student conduct and crisis situations
Preferred Qualifications - Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills
• Master’s degree in higher education, student affairs, learning theory, or related Discipline
• Leadership/Administration or a related discipline
• Experience with facilities management
• Experience managing budgets
• Experience with Parent and Family Programs