Billings Clinic Crisis Assessment Counselor (.6 FTE) - Community Crisis Center in Billings, Montana
Full Time Regular
Job Description: Works independently and according to established policies and procedures to provide assessments and referrals to clients presenting directly to the Community Crisis Center (CCC). Counselor determines if the client is in need of being admitted for crisis stabilization services and further develops a stabilization plan for within the facility and upon discharge from our care. Clients present with complex medical, mental health, substance abuse, social service needs and psychosocial needs. Collaborates with the local hospitals and CCC team on the diagnosis, symptoms and lethality. Contributes psychosocial information to the RN, MHW (Mental Health Worker), Discharge Coordinator/Case Manager and LAC (Licensed Addictions Counselor) in developing the continuum of care. Coordinates referrals to community and mental health services as needed. May need to transfer clients to a higher level of care for mental health emergencies or for medical needs.
Essential Job Functions
• Assessment and Interventions
• Assess the client and gathers appropriate information to assist in the determination of a diagnosis and assess the need to admit a client to our stabilization services or refer to Billings Clinic for a higher level of Psychiatric care or refer to community shelter care. Responds to telephone crisis calls and to referrals from the Social Workers or Psychiatric Assessment Clinicians from Billings Clinic.
• In collaboration with the CCC Team members evaluates, plans, organizes, implements, and documents safe therapeutic client care consistent with Crisis Center values/goals and Billings Clinic departmental policies and procedures and those of the CCC also. Consideration will be given to cultural diversity needs and the appropriateness of care based on the age of the patient.
• On rare occasion, may provide collateral information to assist Billings Clinic with involuntary detention and commitment to assure compliance wi th state laws and Billings Clinic policies and procedures.
• Uses interviews and client record reviews to identify environmental impediments to client progress and develop plans to resolve.
• Utilizes performance improvement principles to assess and improve the quality of client care.
• Develops collaborative relationships with Social Workers, PAC Workers and Care Management persons from Billings Clinic. Also works closely with the CCC team of mental health professionals to provide the best care possible.
• Interviews clients and their support systems, when applicable, in order to set proper goals and minimize anxieties and maximize cooperation. .
• Care Coordination
• Demonstrates positive, supportive, and caring behaviors in communication with clients, families, visitors, physicians, staff, and others.
• Helps clients cope, accept and adjust to issues related to mental health and substance use/abuse.
• Reviews the client record to identify environmental impediments
• to client progress and works with team members to resolve.
• Interacts with the clients, support systems, healthcare professionals, and community and state agencies and serves as a liaison between the CCC and community agencies facilitates the exchange of information.
• Discusses goals and stabilization plans with clients and support system to maximize compliance in meeting the goals
• Performs duties to support CCC's goals and objectives in its effort to provide the least restrictive care in the most cost-effective system of care. Will only transfer to a higher level of care when the client is not appropriately served within our facility or when the client will not agree to stay voluntarily in our facility
• 15. Maintains basic knowledge regarding insurance benefit
• reimbursement. Completes all client billing sheets in a correct
• and timely manner to ensure re imbursements.
• Coordinates with internal discharge coordinator and coordinates necessary referrals to ensure services are in place. Provides the paperwork in a timely manner for the discharge coordinator. Monitors the need for revisions in the stabilization plans and makes recommendations to the RNs, LACs, MHWs and other counselors when indicated. Modifies stabilization plans to comply with changes in a client's situation or needs.
• Assists with internal auditing by completing peer counselor chart audits as directed by the CCC Supervisor. Will also comply with any necessary corrections on his/her own charts if there are corrections warranted.
• Monitors the need for revisions in a client's goal and works with other CCC counselors to modify goals and ensure the client can comply with care that is consistent with their current stage of change. Provides documentation and justification when a client goal is modi fied. Documentation will be timely, reflect professional practice and consistent with CCC policy.
• Safety/Quality Assurance/Risk Management
• Takes a lead role in debriefing crisis situations within the CCC
• when an extremely stressful incident has occurred with the CCC clients, employees and security
• Maintains competency in departmental policies and process that are relevant to the performance of the counseling position.
• Identifies and anticipates problems and safety issues and initiates appropriate action. Maintains competency in all organizational, departmental and outside agency environmental, employee or client safety standards relevant to job performance
• Professional Accountabilities
• Takes responsibility for the identification of own professional growth and development needs; meets all system/departmental educational requirements.
• Adheres to department and organizational policies addressing con fidentiality, infection control, patient rights, mental health ethics, disaster protocols, and safety.
• Performs other duties as assigned or needed to meet the needs of the department/organization.
• Demonstrates the ability to be flexible, open minded and adaptable to change