Montana State University Billings First Year Services Coordinator in Billings, Montana
- First Year Services Coordinator
BRIEF OVERVIEW OF POSITION:
- The First Year Services Coordinator is a full time, year round position in the Academic Support Center at MSU Billings.
- Academic Support Center
- Student Affairs
Montana State University Billings is a comprehensive public four-year higher education institution located in Montana’s largest population center, whose faculty is actively engaged in teaching, research, creative endeavors and public service. MSU Billings is unique in that it is one of a select few higher education institutions that also boasts an embedded two-year community college.
The University opened in 1927 and was initially called Eastern Montana State Normal School at Billings and was established to prepare teachers for elementary schools in eastern Montana. MSU Billings has grown, with the city of Billings and Yellowstone County, into the major urban comprehensive higher education center of south central and eastern Montana. The University campus consists of four colleges: the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Business, the College of Education and the College of Allied Health Professions. Seven miles west of the University campus sits City College at MSU Billings, which serves the comprehensive two-year mission of the university.
This is a professional student-support position responsible for managing the delivery and implementation of core interventions and services for MSUB first-year and at-risk students. The position is hosted within the Academic Support Center at MSUB. The First Year Services Coordinator (FYC) is responsible for developing trusting relationships and supporting a wide range of student populations to improve student retention and graduation rates for City College and University Campus students. The position may include some supervisory responsibilities and reports to the Director of Retention. The FYC will oversee the MSUB GEAR UP program in addition to supporting new and existing campus initiatives, programs, and student services to support university wide persistence and retention efforts. The FYC supports the retention office’s efforts to track student targets, registration timelines, and employ strategies to follow student persistence outcomes to improve MSUB student achievement rates.
The FYC is a leader within the university and surrounding community whose primary job is to promote:
- Students’ successful academic performance and preparation for each higher educational transition
- Increased educational expectations for university level success
- Student life and referrals to campus programs and student support services
- Students' academic, financial, and social literacy
- Students' knowledge of important opportunities, events, and required forms (i.e., FAFSA).
- The First Year Services Coordinator will also be responsible for various Academic Support Center (ASC) duties while serving on the ASC leadership team. Many of these efforts will directly relate to student retention, peer mentoring, and professional development of students.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Monitor GEAR UP and first year MSUB student grades, attendance, and transcripts to promote on-time promotion and graduation and completion of appropriate rigorous coursework; as outlined in annual school-specific GEAR UP & MSUB work plans and budgets
- Serve as member of local GEAR UP Site Team and attend mandated GEAR UP meetings to provide check-ins and feedback
- Plan and participate in GEAR UP activities and maintain proper records for all expenditures
- Meet with students to facilitate educational success
- Supplement and coordinate mentoring opportunities
- Plan and assist in campus activities that provide financial support opportunities
- Provide students with advice and information on financial aid resources
- Recognize and celebrate student success
- Monitor the success of the project, including levels of participation, quality of activities, and impact in terms of student achievement, attendance, educational expectations, and behaviors
- Maintain accurate and complete records of student data
- Provide records or written reports as required for grant compliance
- Assist students’ with FAFSA and any other campus related applications as needed
- Attend conferences as needed
- Contribute to everyday ASC leadership tasks as needed and other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree or four years commensurate experience or a combination of equivalent experience
- Successful experience in student support role(s)
- Knowledge of secondary education requirements
- Ability to form strong working relationships with other MSUB departments
- Strong ability to communicate with students and others
- Excellent program coordination skills, including demonstrated record of completing tasks on time and within budget
MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY BILLINGS IS AN ADA/AA/EEO EMPLOYER.
Qualified women, persons from minority groups, persons with disabilities, and persons with eligible veteran status are encouraged to apply. Contact Human Resources Office, MSU Billings, for more information regarding preference or accommodation, Phone: 406/657-2278 (voice/TTY); Fax: 406/657-2120. EEO/AA Policy Statement