Billings Clinic Patient Flow Specialist (.9 FTE) in Billings, Montana
You can make a difference as a part of our region's largest health care system, based locally in Billings, Montana. Join our amazing team with a focus on safe, high quality care and an excellent patient experience. Billings Clinic is here to take care of our community and region.
We look forward to meeting you.
Billings Clinic is a community-owned, not-for-profit, Physician-led health system based in Billings with more than 4,700 employees, including over 550 physicians and non-physician providers. Our integrated organization consists of a multi-specialty group practice and a 304-bed hospital.Learn more (https://www.billingsclinic.com/about-us/) about Billings Clinic (our organization, history, mission, leadership and regional locations) and how we are recognized nationally for our exceptional quality.
We provide a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to all full-time employees (minimum of 24 hours/week), including Medical, Dental, Vision, 403(b) Retirement Plan with employer matching, Defined Contribution Pension Plan, Paid Time Off, employee wellness program, and much more.Click here (https://www.billingsclinic.com/careers/employee-benefits/) for more information ordownload the 2021 Employee Benefits Guide (https://ncstoragemlbillings.blob.core.windows.net/public/2021%20Billings%20Clinic%20Staff%20Benefits%20Guide.pdf) .
Patient Flow Specialist (.9 FTE)
PATIENT FLOW CENTER (Billings Clinic Main Campus)
Shift: Day, Evenings, Nights, Weekends
Employment Status: Full-Time (.75 or greater)
Hours per Pay Period: 0.90 = 72 hours (Non-Exempt)
Starting Wage DOE: 13.71 - 16.73
The Patient Flow Specialist will perform both staffing and patient placement duties. The Patient Placement duties include: providing support and assistance to the RN Administrator on Duty (AOD) for patient placement and bed management activities, coordinating with all areas of the hospital. Ensures all admissions (elective and emergent), transfers and discharges are in accordance with Billings Clinic’s clinical standards and guidelines. Proactively works to ensure that patients are assigned to appropriate patient care units and facilitates patient throughput while ensuring patient safety and quality standards are adhered to. Communicates census updates and status reports to Senior Leadership and AOD for bed capacity management on a daily basis. Assists AOD with facility transfer requests. Utilizes Microsoft Excel and other computer systems to maintain census and patient placement information. The Patient Flow Specialist is responsible to coordinate the daily staffing needs within the Patient Services Division and arranges/maintains staffing for all hospital nursing units at appropriate levels. Maintains a collaborative relationship with all departments to enhance smooth functioning of the individual department and organization as a whole.
Essential Job Functions
• Supports and models behaviors consistent with the mission and philosophy of Billings Clinic and department/service.
• Coordinates the admission, discharge and transfer processes.
• Evaluates bed availability proactively through use of bed board information and monitoring real time census information.
• Supports the multiple tasks of coordinating bed assignments to meet patient needs, reduce internal transfers, and reduce barriers to unnecessary delays.
• Works with RN AOD to resolve and eliminate barriers to the placement of patients.
• Creates patient encounters in Cerner when a patient visit occurs (Patient Service, Patient Flow, Admission, Discharge & Transfer Process)
• Responsible for creation and maintenance of daily Admit Discharge Transfer (ADT) census report.
• Responsible for processing retrospective corrections that may be needed to accurately reflect ADT and census information.
• Prepares patient census comparisons of actual figures to budget. Prepares and distributes reports to appropriate areas. (Patient Service, Patient Flow, ADT Report)
• Manages the electronic staffing information system, including the day to day staff changes for all hospital inpatient units. (Patient Service, Patient Flow, Electronic Staffing System)
• Coordination of language interpreter services, including transportation, education and documentation. (Patient Service, Patient Flow, Language Services)
• Coordinates process for deceased patients, including tissue/organ donation, autopsy and funeral homes as required. • Ensures proper documentation. (Patient Service, Patient Flow, Deceased Patient Process)
• Provide notary services. (Patient Service, Patient Flow, Notary)
• Triages diverse complex situations, performing necessary investigation and research to gather pertinent data. • Initiates action as appropriate with minimal input or supervision. Formulates recommendations for review for situations outside the established guidelines and/or procedures. (Patient Service, Patient Flow, Triage Diverse Situations)
• Supports and models behaviors consistent with Billings Clinic’s mission, vision, values, code of business conduct and service expectations. Meets all mandatory organizational and departmental requirements. Maintains competency in all organizational, departmental and outside agency standards as it relates to the environment, employee, patient safety or job performance.
• Performs all other duties as assigned or as needed to meet the needs of the department/organization.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Information management systems for clinical and financial data (i.e., AS/400, Cerner, Optilink, etc.)
• HIPAA and confidentiality requirements
• Patient’s/resident’s rights
• Regulatory requirements and standards (Joint Commission, OSHA, Magnet, etc.)
• Patient placement procedures and practices
• Infection control standards and guidelines
• Medical terminology
• Billings Clinic physician specialties and service offerings
• Interpersonal and professional communication skills, both verbal and written
• Judgment, tact and diplomacy to effectively resolve conflicts
• Demonstrating positive, supportive and caring behaviors in communication with co-workers physicians, patients, families and other health care providers
• Attention to detail, gathering and assessing information, problem analysis, and problem resolution skills
• Analytical and critical thinking skills needed to evaluate problem situations in-depth and come to independent, appropriate conclusions
• Utilizing personal computers to enter and retrieve data, to assemble and organize data, to use, analyze and integrate data from diverse sources
• Utilizing Microsoft Office programs (i.e., Windows, Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
• Record keeping, maintaining informational databases, and general office procedures.
• Demonstrating time management skills and ability to prioritize workload
• Incorporate population specific needs into all aspects of communication and patient care; scope of services provided will encompass age groups from infant through geriatric
• Communicate clearly and effectively, both verbal and written
• Establish and maintain collaborative relationships
• Document in clear and concise fashion with appropriate grammar, vocabulary, and word usage
• Operate and utilize a variety of office equipment such as a personal computer, keyboards, multi-line telephones, fax machines, calculators, etc.
• Continuously be able to concentrate on fine details with constant interruptions and changing priorities
• Work effectively in a team environment
• Respond calmly and professionally when dealing with difficult or emergent situations
• Ensure policies and procedures are adhered to
• Transport the deceased and facilitate proper transfer of body to the funeral home or coroner
• Flexible, multitasking, ability to work independently with minimal supervision
• Complexity & Difficulty
Acts as a resource to Billings Clinic staff across a variety of disciplines assisting with questions and/or problem resolution
• Errors could impact the quality of patient care, patient safety, and financial viability of the organization
• Position requires the highest degree of integrity and confidentiality due to the sensitive nature of information handled
• Refers other identified issues/concerns surrounding non-patient placement issues directly to the RN AOD for follow-up with unit Director/Manager, Clinical Coordinator, or Charge Nurse for handling/resolution
• High school graduate or equivalent
• One year minimum experience at Billings Clinic preferred
• Demonstrated excellence in customer service skills
• Previous experience in a healthcare related environment required; unit clerk or CNA experience preferred
• Strong computer skills required, advanced Excel and database experience. Experience in Cerner or Optilink preferred
• Medical terminology course to be completed within six months of hire
Certifications and Licenses
• Notary certification to be obtained within six months of hire
Billings Clinic is Montana’s largest health system serving Montana, Wyoming and the western Dakotas. A not-for-profit organization led by a physician CEO, the health system is governed by a board of community members, nurses and physicians. Billings Clinic includes an integrated multi-specialty group practice, tertiary care hospital and trauma center, based in Billings, Montana. Learn more atwww.billingsclinic.com/aboutus (https://www.billingsclinic.com/about-us/)
Billings Clinic is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity. All policies and processes are designed toward achieving fair and equitable treatment of all employees and job applicants. Employees are encouraged to discuss any concerns they have in this regard with their immediate supervisor and/or the Vice President People Resources. All employees and job applicants will be provided the same treatment in all aspects of the employment relationship, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, genetic information or disability.