Billings Clinic Staff Medical Physicist in Billings, Montana
You can make a difference as a part of our region's largest health care system, based locally in Billings, Montana. Join our amazing team with a focus on safe, high quality care and an excellent patient experience. Billings Clinic is here to take care of our community and region.
We look forward to meeting you.
Billings Clinic is a community-owned, not-for-profit, Physician-led health system based in Billings with more than 4,700 employees, including over 550 physicians and non-physician providers. Our integrated organization consists of a multi-specialty group practice and a 304-bed hospital. Learn more about Billings Clinic (our organization, history, mission, leadership and regional locations) and how we are recognized nationally for our exceptional quality.
We provide a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to all f
time employees (minimum of 24 hours/week), including Medical, Dental, Vision, 403(b) Retirement Plan with employer matching, Defined Contribution Pension Plan, Paid Time Off, employee wellness program, and much more. Click here for more information or download the 2021 Employee Benefits Guide.
Magnet: Commitment to Nursing
Billings Clinic is proud to be recognized for nursing excellence as a Magnet?-designated organization, joining only 97 other organizations worldwide that have achieved this honor four times. The re-designation process happens every four years. Click here to learn more!
Clinic (Billings Clinic Main Campus)
Full-Time (.75 or greater)
Hours per Pay Period:
1.00 = 80 hours
Starting Wage DOE:
Under minimal direction, provides radiation physics services for the Radiation Oncology Depar
in the supervision and performance of treatment planning, performs clinical quality assurance and related operational activities in clinic for physics division, plans and conducts in-service education and training programs for staff. Responsibilities include as appropriate, development/mentoring, coaching/ counseling, physician relationships, interdepartmental and intradepartmental activities, process improvement activities, customer relations, quality of service control. Assists with the development of objectives, policies and procedures relating to radiation therapy.
Essential Job Functions
• Supports and models behaviors consistent with Billings Clinic’s mission, vision, values, code of business c
onduct and service exp
ectations. Meets all mandatory organizational and departmental requirements. Maintains competency in all organizational, departmental and outside agency standards as it relates to the environment, employee, patient safety or job performance.
• Maintains the treatment planning system and supervises dosimetrists in the use of this system. (Information Systems, System Liaison
• Provides clinical leadership to staff and acts as a resource responding to clinical procedural questions and assisting with problem resolution and participating in orientation, education, and development of staff. (Leadership, Resource
2022; Performs quality assurance procedures and maintains accurate records on all therapy machines. (Quality/Regulatory, Quality Review)
• Participates in acceptance testing and commissioning of new equipment. (Information Systems, Testing)
• Assists with implementation and maintenance of policies and procedures. Practices process improvement principles to assess and improve the quality of the radiation oncology program. Assures compliance with regulatory standards (i.e., Joint Commission, NRC, OSHA, ACR, etc.). Maintains competency in all organizational, departmental and outside agency environmental, employee or patient safety standards relevant to job performance. (Leadership, Policies & Procedures)
• Adheres to national patient safety goals and prevents, minimizes and/or corrects risks to patients, families, physicians and other members of the health care team. Investigates unusual occurrences and follows appropriate procedures. Provides consultation for patient care related concerns and acts as a patient advocate as needed. (core)
• Participates in both short- and long-term planning for radiation oncology services. (Project Management, Planning)
• Participates in teaching other health professionals, performs in-service for staff and assists the Radiation Oncologists with research protocols.pan>
• Participates in the development and implementation of an education plan that addresses individual, team and departmental needs. (Education, Staff, Coordinator-Core)
• Maintains and displays an appropriate degree of clinical expertise and can perform dosimetrist duties. Acts as a resource for all levels of the health care team, other health care providers, patients, and their families. (Leadership, Clinical Expertise)
• Performs manual and computerized external beam treatment plans based on information collected during simulation and CT imaging. Performance will be evaluated by observation and input by
the radiation oncologists. Pe
rformance will also be judged based on timeliness and quality of work. (Patient Care, Radiology)
• Performs weekly quality assurance checks of the treatment charts. (Quality/Regulatory, Quality Review)
• Identifies needs and sets goals for own growth and development; meets all mandatory organizational and departmental requirements.
• Performs other duties as assigned or needed to meet the needs of the department/organization.
• NRC Authorized M
edical Physicist (AMP) Additiona
Performs the duties required to support a quality high dose radiation (HDR) program. (Patient Care, Radiology)
• Staff Physicist Additional Duties
• Mentors Medical Physicist I. Assists with training. (Education, Staff)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Billings Clinic policy and procedures, both organizationa
l and departmental
• Personal computers, hardware, and software
• Billings Clinic Code of Business Conduct
• Billings Clinic Corporate Compliance Program
• HIPAA and confidentiality requirements
• Patient’s/resident’s rights
• Customer serv
ice techniques and Personal Service Excellence (PSE) skills
• Regulatory standards (i.e., Joint Commission, OSHA, ACR, etc.)
• Leadership and empowerment principles
• Radiation oncology treatments
• Knowledge of physics as applied to Radiation Oncology, including understanding of machine operation, instrumentation of measurement and the biological effects of radiation
• Professional communication skills, both verbal and written
• Interpersonal skills necessary to coordinate and collaborate patient care with all levels of health care providers
• Application of leadership skills
• Proficiency in computer operation, simulator, teletherapy machines, HDR remote after loader and other skills pertinent to radiation therapy
• Understand and relate to theories behind several related conce
• Conflict resolution
• Analytical skills necessary to solve complex technical problems which arise in the calibration and clinical use of the machine.
• Incorporate population specific needs into all aspects of communication and patient care; scope of services provided will encompass age groups from infant through geriatric
• Communicate clearly and effectively, both verbal and written
2022; Establish and maintain collaborative relationships
• Concentrate on fine detail with frequent interruptions
• Maintain flexibility to adapt to a variety of workload assignments
• Work independently and in collaboration with other members of the health care team
• Responsible for assessing and making recommendations regarding the quality of patient care
• Acts as a resource and consultant
• Develops and maintains strong, collaborative relations with physicians, other health care providers, Leadership team and others.
• Medical Physicist I - reports to and is supervised by the Lead Medical Physicist for physics related duties.
x2019;s Degree in Medical Physics, Physics, or related discipline. Ph.D.
• Medical Physics Residency preferred
• Staff Medical Physicist
• Meets requirements of Level I
• American Board of Radiology (ABR) Board Certification
le="color: black; font-size: 10pt; font-family:
Arial, sans-serif;">• Three to five years clinical experience in radiation therapy
Certifications and Licenses
Completion of Part 1 (ABR) American Board of Radiology Certification. Required to complete ABR Certification within 5 years of employment.
Billings Clinic is Montana’s largest health system serving Montana, Wyoming and the western Dakotas. A not-for-profit organization led by a physician CEO, the health system is governed by a board of community members, nurses and physicians. Billings Clinic includes an integrated multi-specialty group practice, tertiary care hospital and trauma center, based in Billings, Montana. Learn more at www.billingsclinic.com/aboutus
Billings Clinic is committed to being an inclusive and
welcoming employer, that strives to be kind, safe, and courageous in all we do.
As an equal opportunity employer, our policies and processes are designed to
achieve fair and equitable treatment of all employees and job applicants. All
employees and job applicants will be provided the same treatment in all aspects
of the employment relationship, regardless of race, color, religion, sex,
gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy and family
status, national origin, spoken language, neurodiversity, age, and/or disability.
To ensure we provide an accessible candidate experience for prospective
employees, please let us know if y
ou need any accommodations during the