Bozeman Health LAB ASSISTANT in Bozeman, Montana
Laboratory Assistants: The position of Laboratory Assistant involves training and assignment to a variety of jobs. A laboratory assistant may received more training in some specific areas in order to accommodate specific job assisgnments. When possible, laboratory assistants are cross-trained so that they may accommodate changes in scheduling. Laboratory Assistants work under the supervision of the Laboratory Assistant Supervisor and in his/her absence work under the general supervision of Clinical Laboratory Scientists in the following 5 functions:
- Microbiology Laboratory Assistant: Works under the immediate supervision of the microbiology Coordinator (or designee). Sets up and plates cultures of blood, body fluids, tissues and other clinical specimens. Assesses specimen quality and appropriateness before set-up. Checks reflab orders for accuracy and appropriate billing. Is responsible for the review of the "expected" microbiology specimens and resolving missing samples. Also answers the departmental telephone, and calls positive results. Assists with general laboratory inventory receiving, unpacking and storing of stock. Answers incoming laboratory calls and preloads future orders at end of shift.
- Send-Out-Laboratory Assistant: Works under the direct supervision of the Chemistry Team Leader (or designee). Daily prints results from the State Laboratory, dividing them into different categories (microbiology, serology and PKU) and routes reports forward appropriately. Prints a send-out miscellaneous (non-Mayo) pending list and investigates overdue specimens. Collects and reconciles both labels and specimens for send-out, checking orders to assure accuracy and accounting for all send-out and mis-out miscellaneous specimen numbers. Assures that correct specimens have been collected and that they have - and continue eader (or designee). Daily prints results from the State Laboratory, dividing them into different categories (microbiology, serology and PKU) and routes reports forward appropriately. Prints a send-out miscellaneous (non-Mayo) pending list and investigates overdue specimens. Collects and reconciles labels and specimens for send-out, checking orders to accuracy and accounting for all send-out and send-out miscellaneous specimen numbers. Assures that correct specimens have been collected and that they have - and continue to be - properly stored. Takes telephone calls seeking information about send-out tests and their requirements. Investigates laboratories and requirements for send-out miscellaneous tests as they come in and handles them appropriately. Electronically manipulates the send-out batch with Mayo and packs and ships specimens timely and appropriately. Packs and ships specimens to various other laboratories timely and appropriately. Maintains send-out inventory at adequate levels. Assists in providing customer service via telephone.
- The "Tube" Laboratory Assistant: Works under the direct supervision of the Chemistry Team Leader (or designee). Manages the pneumatic tube system, physically receiving specimens and electronically receiving specimens in the Lab Information system. Places orders in Meditech at the behest of others (i.e. in-patient units) who may need assistance. Responds to requests to add testing on to existing samples. Handles, allocates and manipulates different body fluids in order to maintain integrity and facilitate testing. Enters specimens into storage after testing. Receives - electronically and physically - specimens from other laboratories, i.e. Medical Lab Services, Medical Associates, and our Out-Reach Laboratory; reconciling specimens with what is needed for the pending analysis. Physically and electronically sends specimens to the above laboratories. Assists in providing customer service via telephone.
- The Reference Laboratory Assistant: Works under the direct supervision of the Lab Assistant Team Leader. Periodically may visit various sites on the BDH campus to delivery laboratory reports and to pick up laboratory specimens. Receives specimens collected above and specimens from couriers and specimens dropped off by others. Checks specimens for integrity, propriety, labeling and correlation to the order, taking corrective action as needed. Registers and admits the patient appropriately in Meditech. Orders the testing as written, in consultation with the Team Leader and Clinical Laboratory Scientists. Relabels specimens and delivers appropriately and timely. Answers the laboratory telephone, provides customer service to callers and forwards calls appropriately if necessary.
- The Call Center Laboratory Assistant: Provides customer service support to Bozeman Deaconess Health Laboratory customers - internal and external - primarily by answering all of the telephone calls directed to BDH Laboratory Services and attending to requests, without transfer of the call, in at least 90% of instances. . The Call Center Lab Assistant is expected to process specimen problems and orders by utilizing the EMR, imaging software, on-line tests catalogs, paper requisitions and other sources of information. Communication includes both incoming and outgoing telephonic communication, e-mail, fax and instant messaging. Must be capable of expressing and receiving thought succinctly and clearly in both verbal and written communication.
- Cytoprep Tech: Cytoprep tech will work under general supervision to prepare Gyn and non-Gyn and other clinical specimens including slide processing, staining and cover-.slipping. Receives and processes specimens and inputs data into the computer. Performs clerical duties such as typing, filing, and telephone communication. Prepares laboratory solution and stains. Contact customer accounts for order clarification. Orders and maintains supply inventories for gyn and non-gyn testing.
High school or equivalent
LICENSURE and CERTIFICATION
Prior experience in a medical capacity
KNOWLEDGE OF, SKILLS IN, ABILITY TO, COMPLEXITY AND DIFFICULY:
Basic typing and computer skills.
Basic telephone customer service skills.
COMPLEXITY AND DIFFICULTY:
Micro Lab Assistant
60% Time Spent - Sets up microbiology cultures
5% Time Spent - Manages send-out results and pending lists.
10% Time Spent - Checks orders
20% Time Spent - Telephone answering
5% Time Spent - Stock room duties
Send-Out Lab Assistant
80% Time Spent - Organizing and correlating send-out specimens
5% Time Spent - Packing and shipping send-out specimens
5% Time Spent - Researching esoteric laboratory's work and providing customer service
5% Time Spent - Managing pending lists and checking orders
5% Time Spent - Managing inventory and providing customer service via telephone and in person.
Tube Laboratory Assistant
75% Time Spent - Managing the pneumatic tube deliveries
5% Time Spent - Ordering tests in Meditech and managing add-ons
5% Time Spent - Handling and manipulating specimens that must be aliquoted or special centrifugation.
5% Time Spent - Managing batches between Main lab and satellite labs.
5% Time Spent - Storage of specimens after testing.
5% Time Spent - Providing customer service via telephone and in person.
Reference Laboratory Assistant
10% Time Spent - Providing interior courier service for the facility.
75% Time Spent - Registering reference specimens in Meditech and ordering testing
10% Time Spent - Answering the telephone and providing customer service.
5% Time Spent - Solving problems and resolving driftwoods.
If Team Lead:
50% Time Spent - Handles, processes and distributes lab specimens.
10% Time Spent - Processes send-out orders and packages for shipment (100% when assigned to send-outst)
25% Time Spent - Monitors send-out pending lists Follows up on problem investigations (driftwoods)
15% Time Spent - Scans and routes paperwork as needed
5-10% Time Spent - Additional duties
Has advanced skills in identifying and correcting problems
Add tests to existing specimens
Match specimens and orders
Use smartboard to track overdue and missing specimens
File exception reports for delayed specimens.
Log specimen exceptions for QA
10-20% Time Spent - Management duties
Screen and schedule applicants for lab assistant positions
Organize training for new employees
Schedules lab assistants including making adjustments when necessary.
Maintain policies and procedures in the department
manage workflow and monitor quality
Resolve the daily rejection batch.
Keep an efficient flow of the department paperwork including exceptions and driftwoods.
Resolves FAX problems
5% Time Spent - Delegates specific duties as necessary
- 20% Time Spent - Receives and processes non-gyn specimens.
- 10% Time Spent - Enters patient information into computer.
- 60% Time Spent - Receives and processes gyn specimens.