Montana Technological University Director of Outdoor Recreation in Butte, Montana
The Director of Outdoor Recreation is responsible for providing strategic thinking and direction for outdoor programs and campus recreation. The Director is charged with ensuring the mission, vision and values of the department align to institutional priorities, support student success and facilitate the personal growth and development of the student population. The Director will develop, lead and coordinate a variety of recreation programming initiatives including classes, workshops, events/trips, and wellness; as well as oversee the outdoor recreation budget, purchasing, inventory, and rental of outdoor recreation equipment. The Director will promote and communicate outdoor recreation programming to students and the campus community while engaging with the local community to encourage outdoor recreation.
Outdoor Recreation activities may include adventure programming (but are not limited to): backpacking, rock climbing, golf, disc golf, cross-country and downhill skiing, water sports, biking, etc.
Additionally, the Director will create, organize, supervise, and evaluate all intramural programs, as well as manage the intramural budget and equipment purchasing according to Montana University System policies. The director will also report the status of the intramural program budget and purchasing procedures to the Associated Students of Montana Tech.
Intramural activities may include (but are not limited to): basketball, volleyball, flag football, kickball, softball, disc golf, ultimate Frisbee, etc.
Other Campus/Department Duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in recreation, exercise science, education or related field
• Strong leadership and organizational skills
• Strong knowledge of techniques and procedures used in various indoor and outdoor physical recreation activities
• Demonstrated experience and abilities to work as part of a professional team that collaborates effectively with colleagues
• CPR Certified or ability to become certified within 6 months of hiring
• Working knowledge of safety factors and hazards involved in physical recreation activities
• Ability to develop, design, and create activities
• Excellent organizational planning and project development skills.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Strong computer skills
• Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
• Demonstrated commitment to Customer Service
• Ability to thrive in an environment that values high expectations, accountability, and balanced lifestyles
• Ability to work with students, be flexible and willing to always make the extra effort to put students first
• Master’s degree in higher education administration, recreation administration, physical education, college student personnel, or a related area
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience in recreation and wellness programs
• Knowledge of rules and regulations of athletic games such as softball, basketball, volleyball, flag football, and soccer. Demonstrated Technology skills (i.e. recreation software, survey tools, etc.)
• Demonstrated competency on changes in trends in recreational sports through research, self-directed professional reading and professional development courses and developing professional contacts with colleagues.
• Superior communication skills to effectively and professionally communicate using tact and diplomacy.
• Demonstrated considerable judgment and discretion in the delivery of intramural programs to participants reflective of representing the university as a professional and thoughtful institution.
• Ability to collaborate, form partnerships, and work effectively as a member of a goal-oriented team.
• Demonstrated knowledge in business, recreational and fitness activities