State of Montana Registered Nurse in Butte, Montana
Job Overview: This position provides nursing care to ensure patients of the Montana Chemical Dependency Center are safe and healthy. Other responsibilities include: 1) Observing and assessing patients’ health condition; 2) Reviewing chemical dependency history and analyzing need for detoxification including breathalyzer and other drug screenings; and 3) Assigning work to Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), Treatment Technicians (TT), and providing guidance and training as necessary.
Essential Functions (Major Duties or Responsibilities):
A. Patient Care/Education
· Monitors, records, and reports symptoms or changes in patients' health.
· Orders, interprets, and evaluates diagnostic tests to identify and assess patients' condition.
· Monitors all aspects of patient care, including diet and physical activity.
· Consults with healthcare providers to assess, implement, or evaluate patient care plans.
· Conducts patient education through presentations , individual counseling, and educates family members about medical needs.
· Oversees patients’ detoxification from various drugs of addiction.
B. Interdisciplinary Teams/Charge
· Participates in the Utilization Review Committee to assist with patients pre-screening process for in-patient treatment.
· Participates as a member of the Interdisciplinary Team to develop and plan scope of treatment for the patients.
· Assigns and reviews work of Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) and Treatment Technician (TT) and provides support and training as necessary.
· Participates with interview panels and assists with orientating new staff.
· Coordinates coverage to ensure staffing needs are met.
· Provides immediate intervention with inadequate staff performance and refers information as necessary to direct supervisor.
C. New Patient Admissions
· Completes nursing assessment including thorough documentation related to patients’ current and past medical conditions.
· Reviews chemical dependency history and analyzes need for detoxification including breathalyzer and other drug screenings.
· Administers vaccines including tuberculosis (TB) screening.
· Determines appropriate referral for mental health therapy.
D. Medication and Treatment
· Verifies current prescribed medications and implements physician orders.
· Oversees and administers topical, injections, and oral medications as prescribed.
· Orders medication supplies with contracted pharmacy staff.
· Provides patient education and advises on the importance of following a prescribed medication regime.
· Ensures the safety of medication disbursements and storage.
Physical and Environmental Demands:
Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds, reach forward, below and lift hands above shoulders, and use of dominant hand; go up and down flights of stairs during emergencies.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Behaviors):
Required for the first day of work:
· Knowledge of nursing and medication.
· Knowledge of patients’ rights regarding medical treatment.
· Ability to identify problems, develop and implement solutions.
· Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
· Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
· Ability to maintain patient confidentiality and comply with protected health information.
Minimum Qualifications (Education and Experience):
· Current Montana State Licensed RN.
· One year of acute care experience preferred.
· Other combinations of directly related experience may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
· Must have or willing to obtain CPR/1STAIDE/AED certification prior to employment.
Title: Registered Nurse
Requisition ID: 18142249