State of Montana Safety Resource Specialist (51422) in Great Falls, Montana
Women (and/or) minorities may be under-represented in this position and are encouraged to apply.
The Department of Public Health and Human Services is the largest executive branch department in Montana State Government with over 3,200 employees. We maximize individual and organizational potential by supporting the agency’s most valuable resource – OUR PEOPLE.
The Child and Family Services Division (CFSD) provides family-centered services within a trauma-informed system to assure safety, permanency, and well-being for children who are at risk of or have been subjected to child maltreatment.
We are looking for you to be a compassionate, energetic, conscientious, and detail-oriented individual who enjoys making a difference, being part of a team, and takes pride in your career to work in our fast-paced office.
A competitive hourly wage and a comprehensive benefits package. To learn more about what we offer visit: https://statecareers.mt.gov/Portals/103/StatewideBenefitsFlyer.pdf
A welcoming office environment where everyone is accountable for their part and everyone strives to provide the best customer service to clients and each other.
A career in which you can feel good every day knowing you’re making a difference in the lives of others.
Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, organizational skills both analytical and problem solving, and the ability to work with confidential documents.
A positive outlook, dependability, accuracy and pride with your work.
Initiative, resilience, and cooperative nature to maintain a harmonious work environment that exceeds everyone’s expectations.
A qualitative customer experience in the service of others.
Physical and Environmental Demands: The work of a Safety Resource Specialist is extremely difficult and involves extensive field work in the homes of families. The ability to engage and work with angry and violent individuals, make critical decisions, assess and place children, travel when needed, and remain flexible while working under demanding timelines with strict documentation requirements is required. Office time is limited due to the field work demands of this position. Work hours may include evenings and weekends. The field work demands of this position consist of 25% travel.
Key responsibilities include:
• Develops, reviews, and implements safety plans, including Protection Plans and In-Home Safety Plans with family.
• Gathers information from safety resources to ensure safety plans are being complied with.
• Assesses and enhances safety resources as needed to ensure sufficiency of plan and safety of child.
• Documents and communicates potential safety threats to all involved, including specific safety plan documentation, inputting information into SACWIS system and court testimony as requested.
• Utilize family-center practice to intervene, coach, and mentor caregivers while conducting home-visits.
• Facilitate meetings to coordinate safety resource and family engagement.
For a more detailed job description, please email Travis.House@mt.gov
*Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Behaviors): *
Required for the first day of work:
• Knowledge of the methods and procedures for Child Protection Specialists.
• Knowledge of the laws and rules pertaining to child protection services such as child safety, permanency and wellbeing; and the Indian Child Welfare Act.
• Knowledge of child development, child maltreatment prevention and treatment, and family centered social work practice.
• Ability to make critical decisions, based on integration of information from multiple sources that may be discrepant, in high-stress situations.
• Ability to engage children and families, under difficult circumstances, to gather sufficient information to make accurate and precise decisions.
• Ability to identify problems, develop and implement solutions.
• Ability to communicate information both orally and in writing so others will understand.
• Ability to remain calm when being confronted and to develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, even those who do not share the same point of view and may be violent or angry and maintain them over time.
• Ability to operate a personal computer and general office equipment as necessary to complete the essential functions, including using spreadsheet, word processing, database, email, internet, and other computer programs.
• Experience working with tribal government entities and/or other organizations of native peoples is highly preferred.
• Professional Certifications related to Child Protective Services.
Minimum Qualifications (Education and Experience):
• Bachelor’s degree in social work, human services, or psychology, or directly related degree.
• Two years of Child Protection Specialist experience, or directly related work experience, working with children and families in difficult and sometimes volatile situations.
• Other combinations of directly related education and experience maybe considered on a case-by-case basis.
To be considered for this position, please attach and submit the following material with your application:
3 Professional References
o How has your education and/or work experience prepared you to be successful at this job?
*(Please type responses in separate Word documents and attach to application. HELPFUL HINT: When attaching a document, you must check the “relevant document” box to ensure your attachments are uploading correctly to the specific application. Please do not attach more documents than are requested. Failure to attach the required material will result in your application being incomplete. *
On your first day of work in the office, the Department will provide you with a cloth face covering. You may also bring and wear your own face coverings. Please be advised, all DPHHS employees are required to wear masks/face coverings while at work in the office and outside the office in official employee capacity.
Internal applicants may be (but not guaranteed) eligible for a lateral pay move.
Job: *Community/Social Services
Title: Safety Resource Specialist (51422)
Location: Great Falls
Requisition ID: 21140225