RAVALLI COUNTY Temporary Road Department Work Zone Assistant/Laborer in HAMILTON, Montana
Ravalli County Job Description
Position: Temporary Road Department Work Zone Assistant/Laborer
Department: Ravalli County Road and Bridge Department
Responsible to: Road Foreman
Employee Status: Temporary, approximate end date 11/15/2021
Hourly Rate of Pay: $ 17.01 per hour non-exempt
Job posting date: March 23, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Interested parties should submit a cover letter, resume, a copy of their CDL to and a Ravalli County application to:
Ravalli County Human Resources
215 South 4th Suite B
Hamilton, MT 59840.
By Fax # 406-375-6523
By E-mail: HR@rc.mt.gov
You can download a Ravalli County application from our website: https://ravalli.us/176/Human-Resources
These are Temporary positions of unknown duration, funded to assist with damage to the County roads and bridges. These positions could last as long as 18 to 36 weeks depending on weather. Under the supervision of the Road and Bridge Foreman, the Work Zone Assistant/Laborer Assists Driver/Operators in setting up work zones and participates in the construction and maintenance of the Ravalli County road and bridge system, and performs manual labor as necessary to achieve program objectives.
• Conducts flagging and traffic control for work zone operations.
• Performs manual labor on road and bridge construction and maintenance projects.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Must be able to pass basic flagger certification provided Road & Bridge Department.
• Basic knowledge of safety regulations and personal protective equipment.
• Ability to communicate well with other employees and the public.
• Ability to establish and maintain a positive, ethical, effective and professional working relationship with other department employees in a collaborative team setting.
• Knowledge of the safe and efficient operation and maintenance of a variety of heavy equipment units and heavy-duty trucks & related attachments is a plus.
• Works outside with exposure to weather extremes.
• Often works in construction work zones with heavy volumes of traffic.
• Frequent travel (300 -500 miles per week)
• Heavy lifting is routinely required, up to 100 lbs
• Exposure to dust, exhaust, vapors, noise and other potential hazards.
• Participates in the mandatory Ravalli County drug testing program.
Qualifications and Experience
• Completion of High School or GED
• Valid Montana Driver’s License with an acceptable driving record, Commercial License (A) is a plus.
• Ability to obtain work zone traffic control (flagger) certification provided by the Road & Bridge Department.
• Must be physically able to effectively perform all position requirements in adverse conditions including weather extremes and steep, uneven or unstable terrain.
• Experience in the operation of heavy equipment units and heavy - duty trucks, and in the construction and operation of road and bridge systems is a plus.
Successful applicants will be required to take a drug test and are also subject to a background check prior to the start of employment.