City of Havre Police Patrolman in Havre, Montana
SUMMARY OF WORK: Enforces Montana traffic and criminal codes, city laws and ordinances. Performs routine patrol duties, investigations, and record keeping duties.
Nature of Work: This position performs professional technical duties. Position is on-call 24 hours per day for emergencies. Hazards of position include travel and work in adverse weather and extreme temperatures, situations that arise in connection with pursuit and arrest of dangerous people, and possible exposure to hazardous wastes. Position requires adherence to safety procedures. Deals with sensitive information and adheres to standards of confidentiality.
Personal Contacts: Daily contact with the public, police officers, and support staff personnel. Dealings with the public may be under stressful circumstances.
Supervision Received: Daily assignments from the Sergeant.
Essential Functions: Position requires ability to communicate orally and in writing, visually inspect areas, know and apply laws and regulations, apprehend and control dangerous persons, use firearms, operate police investigative equipment; walk or run over rugged terrain, climb, carry adult weight, hear distress calls, perform limited medical procedures, drive a patrol vehicle, calculate, prepare reports, and maintain records.
AREAS OF JOB ACCOUNTABILITY AND PERFORMANCE:
• Patrols to enforce federal, state, and city laws; makes arrests, handles complaints, provides assistance in all manners of situations, renders basic first aid.
• Does investigations, writes reports; protects the citizens; deters criminal activity; assists other officers and does public relations.
• Seizes and maintains integrity of evidence.
• Performs pro-active and routine patrol procedures including traffic patrol, animal control, follow-up investigation, responding to emergencies and accidents. Deals with domestic abuse, thefts, disorderly conduct, sexual abuse, criminal mischief, criminal trespass, death investigations, sexual attacks, DUI's, drugs, juveniles, parking complaints, traffic complaints, traffic citations, traffic accidents, child and elder abuse, forgeries, burglaries, and alcohol related offenses.
• Writes reports, citations and other communications. Gives public relations talks, works with youth, works with crime prevention, instructs classes, performs first responder tasks.
• Is responsible for the operation and safe keeping of the patrol unit assigned; cleans and checks for scheduled maintenance. Responsible for personal equipment such as weapon, handcuffs, gun belt, defensive spray, etc.
• Responsible for animal shelter.
• Documents incidents and follow-up measures.
• Makes decisions as to what type of force is necessary to handle a dangerous situation to protect self and others.
• Performs other related duties as required.
Knowledge: This position requires a knowledge of modern law enforcement principles, procedures, techniques, and equipment; knowledge of federal, state, and city laws, ordinances, department rules and regulations.
Skills: This position requires skills in: operating police investigative equipment and tools, the use of firearms and driving in hazardous conditions. Skills in preparing reports and use of office machines including a computer.
Abilities: This position requires the ability to: drive emergency vehicle; exercise sound judgment; pay attention to detail; remain calm in crisis situations; maintain confidentiality; visually inspect areas; hear distress calls; operate office equipment; perform physical force measures when necessary; prepare reports; communicate effectively orally and in writing; follow verbal and written instructions; establish effective working relationships with fellow employees, supervisors, and the public.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The above knowledge, skills, and abilities are typically acquired through a combination of education and experience equivalent to:
• A High School diploma or Ged Equivalent.
• Must possess basic law enforcement certification.
• Must possess valid state of Montana driver's license.
• Must have completed Probationary Patrolman requirement.
JOB PERFORMANCE STANDARDS:
Evaluation of this position will be based primarily upon performance of the preceding requirements and duties. Examples of job performance criteria include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Performs assigned duties.
• Competently patrols, investigates, enforces laws, and prevents crime.
• Responds in a timely manner to emergencies, citizen complaints, traffic accidents, and assaults.
• Competently investigates traffic accidents, domestic abuse, thefts, disorderly conduct, sexual abuse, criminal activity, and alcohol related offenses.
• Writes accurate and timely reports and citations.
• Ensures that laws and ordinances are enforced for the peace, safety and well being of the community.
• Deals fairly and non-judgmentally with all people.
• Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information.
• Keeps abreast of current trends and information in the field.
• Cooperates with county, state, and federal law enforcement officers and service agencies as appropriate.
• Deals tactfully and courteously with the public.
• Observes work hours.
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with fellow employees, supervisors, and the public.