Rocky Mountain Development Council, Inc. Head Start Teacher in Helena, Montana
Rocky Mountain Development Council’s Head Start Program is seeking applicants for a Teacher position, 40 hours/week, approximately 41 weeks/year. The starting salary for this position is $16.89 per hour. A second salary rate ($17.39/hour) is available based on applicants meeting the Head Start Act qualifications, plus the Head Start bargaining unit’s generous benefit package (health, dental, vision and life insurance; retirement plan; paid holidays, sick & personal leave). This position is located in Helena.
This position is responsible for classroom management and for planning, implementing, and coordinating all classroom activities. This position serves as a child and family resource person and is responsible for parent involvement in the classroom. The position directs and collaborates with the classroom team which may include some or all of the following: partner Teacher, the Teacher’s Assistant, Classroom Technician, service providers, Foster Grandparents, work study students and other volunteers.
Ability to qualify as a Teacher as defined by both Montana Child Care Licensing and the Head Start Act is preferred.
- Comprehensive understanding of early child development and developmentally appropriate practices in early childhood education.
- Various service resources in the community.
- Classroom management and team leadership.
- Range of social, emotional, cognitive, physical development and special needs associated with early childhood development.
- Communication methods appropriate to early childhood.
- The state and federal policies and procedures pertaining to child abuse and neglect.
- Work and collaborate with families from diverse backgrounds.
- Be perceptive of the needs of children with a range of personalities, diverse backgrounds and economic and cultural differences.
- Organize and direct classroom activities.
- Keep all information on children, families and staff strictly confidential.
- Communicate effectively in English, verbally and in writing.
- Lift a 20 - 60-pound child.
- Walk, bend, kneel and reach.
- Stand, sit and play with children for long periods of time.
- Conduct both indoor and outdoor activities, in both warm and cold temperatures.
- Talk, hear, and communicate with families.
- Basic computer literacy to use and fill out electronic documentation, (lesson plans, observations, assessments, newsletters, etc.).
- Access and respond to email, open attachments, and other Head Start documents.
- Learn and utilize program specific software and online tools and training.
The Head Start Act states that teachers must meet the following educational qualifications:
• An associate degree in early childhood education;
• An associate degree in a related field and coursework equivalent to a major relating to early childhood education, with
experience teaching preschool age children or;
• A baccalaureate degree or advanced degree in any field and coursework equivalent to a major relating to early
childhood education, with experience teaching preschool age children or;
• A baccalaureate degree in any field and has been admitted into the Teach for America Program, passed a rigorous
early childhood content exam, such as Praxis II, participated in a Teach for America summer training institute that
includes teaching preschool children, and is receiving ongoing professional development and support Teach for
America’s professional staff.
If an employee is hired and is determined to not meet the educational qualifications listed above, they must be willing to meet program requirements within three (3) years of hire. Need for professional development and further coursework will be determined through a Professional Development Plan designated by the position’s supervisor.
Rocky Head Start, in working with the Montana Early Childhood Project (MTECP), has determined teachers who are at a Level 5 or above on the Montana Early Childhood Project (MTECP) Practitioner Registry meet the requirements of the Head Start Act of 2007. Please see www.mtecp.org
Head Start staff must obtain First Aid and CPR certification and update as required Rocky Head Start adheres to Head Start Performance Standards, MT Child Care Licensing regulations, and STARS to Quality requirements. Head Start employees follow approved program curricula: The Creative Curriculum® for Preschool, Second Step and Child Protection Unit as designated by Rocky, Inc. governing bodies. As an Employee of Rocky Head Start you will be required to obtain all trainings and requirements for the current STAR level of the program. All training will be maintained and refreshed as determined by your Professional Development Plan, which will be updated at the beginning of each school year.
Rocky Head Start requires all staff to be members of the Montana Early Childhood Project (MTECP), Practitioner Registry and remain in a current status. Successful candidates will receive assistance in applying to the Early Childhood Practitioner Registry. Please see www.mtecp.org for education and training requirement to maintain a current status.
Must have a valid driver’s license, clean driving record, reliable vehicle, current liability insurance, and be insurable on Rocky’s motor vehicle insurance.
Prior to hiring:
• current MMR and Td/Tdap (within past ten years) immunizations,
• a Tuberculosis Screening/Risk Assessment, and
• current valid Montana driver’s license is required.
Prior to hiring and every five (5) years thereafter:
• an FBI and State of Montana criminal history record including fingerprint checks,
• a sex offender registry check, and
• a child protective services check.
Prior to employment and then as required by individual’s Health Care Provider:
• an Employee Health Form signed by individual’s Health Care Provider verifying they do not, because of
communicable diseases, pose a significant risk to the health and safety of the children.
Application Process: Applicants must submit a signed completed Rocky application, resume, and letter of interest. Applications are available from Rocky, and www.rmdc.net. Incomplete application materials will not be processed. Completed application packages must be received by the Rocky Human Resource Office, 200 South Cruse Avenue, Helena, MT 59601 or P.O. Box 1717, Helena, 5962. This position is open until filled. EEO