KLJ Senior Engineer Structural - Bridge in Helena, Montana
At KLJ, we love engineering, moving forward, and bringing ideas to life. Our work is more than a project, it's a long-term solution for the communities in which we live and work. We are committed to providing an exceptional experience to our customers - every project, every time. We reimagine what projects can be through innovative planning, design, and support of infrastructure projects of all shapes and sizes. Join our team and reimagine what your career can be.
The Senior Engineer Structural-Bridge is responsible to provide overall leadership and guidance on large and complex engineering projects. Position will be responsible to serve as engineer of record. Position ensures technical portion of projects are executed in-line with KLJ’s quality expectations and standards that ultimately deliver on our strategy of providing an exceptional client experience.
• Apply structural engineering principles and standards to perform and direct engineering tasks as the Engineer of Record
• Ensure proper Engineering practices and techniques are used by design team or project team by providing direction, review, and support
• Serve as technical resource/lead on projects or tasks for large scale projects
• Demonstrates competency in multiple project phases (planning, design, construction, etc.)
• Leads design tasks and construction administration/observation activities as a Professional Engineer
• Lead Quality Assurance and Quality Control reviews on large scale multi-discipline projects to ensure compliance with KLJ quality standards
• Instruct, train and mentor group members
• Participate in and facilitate meetings
• Utilize effective written and oral communication
• Manage multiple project teams ensuring projects are delivered on time and on budget
• Responsible for providing technical expertise on a wide array of discipline specific projects/project elements including design, specifications, plans, maps, and project execution within the approved schedule and budget
• Responsible for the coordination, review and completion of design calculations, plans, specifications, cost estimates, construction documents and reports as the Engineer of record
• Responsible for coordination and communication with engineers, architects, contractors
• Serve as project or task manager for large scale projects with minimal support as the Engineer of Record
• Serve as Engineer of Record (EOR), discipline lead, project manager, or client manager and provide overall project oversight
• Provide direction, review, and support to the group by leading projects; assuring proper practices and techniques
• Provide input on business development efforts and lead project meetings development with direction from Market teams
• Assist with client relations throughout project phases
• Confer with project team members and clients to lead, prepare, and participate in project proposals and interviews
• May serve as technical lead on projects or tasks for large scale projects
• Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited post-secondary institution
• PE is required
• Demonstrated competency with markets, clients and projects of specific service offering
• Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to operate motorized vehicles
• Post graduate degree with emphasis on structural engineering
• Project Management experience
• Prior Engineering Consultant experience
• Certifications in identified specialization
The Senior Engineer receives administrative guidance from the Department or Area Manager.
The position receives general guidance with assignments in terms of broadly defined missions.
Hours and Travel
This position requires the individual work 40+ hours per week with time spent out of the office as needed for meetings with clients, etc..
The physical demands described represent those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities.
The employee is regularly required to:
• Sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, twist, crouch, and crawl
• Use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms
• Talk or hear and communicate clearly
The employee must:
• Frequently lift and move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and move up to 25 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
This job description is not meant to be all-inclusive or restrictive and other duties may be assigned. It is a description of the job as presently defined and is subject at any time to revision. This document is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. Individuals may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities, as needed.
All applicants must be authorized to work in the US, without employer-sponsorship. KLJ does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas and does not participate in any OPT training program.
KLJ will not be partnering with third-party recruiters on this position. Please review our third-party recruiting policy at .
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.