Whitefish Credit Union Accounting Manager in Kalispell, Montana
Position Title: Accounting Manager
Organizational Relationships: Reports to VP / Controller
Supervisory Responsibilities: Senior Accountants, Staff Accountants, Accounts Payable Specialist
General Function: Oversees the day-to-day activities of the accounting department, and is responsible for meeting the department’s deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, and forecasting. Manages a team of accountants, allocating and managing work to achieve expected outcomes, developing team member capabilities, and recognizing excellent contributions to the credit union and our membership. Assists the VP / Controller in successfully completing and meeting regulatory and tax reporting and filing requirements, and internal and external audit activities.
• Manages accounting department employees, including Senior and Staff Accountants, and Accounts Payable Specialist.
• Ensures all transactions are posted to the general ledger in a timely manner and in accordance with the Credit Union’s policies and procedures, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, and regulatory guidance.
• Oversees, reviews, and approves the preparation of periodic general ledger reconciliations, analysis of financial accounts, and preparation of journal entries.
• Manages monthly and annual general ledger closings, including the preparation and recording of monthly accruals.
• Conducts periodic financial budget variance analyses.
• Oversees the execution of certain tax related responsibilities of the Credit Union, including the review and timely payment of real estate taxes, preparation and filing of annual property tax returns, and preparation and payment of IRA withholding taxes.
• Assists VP / Controller with financial statement audits, regulatory exams, and other regulatory reports as needed.
• Participates in the development and execution of annual budgets and ongoing financial forecasts.
• Ensures effective financial internal controls for the department and the credit union. Continually evaluates established policies and procedures and recommends updates or modifications as necessary.
• Develops and implements improvements in systems, processes and procedures as appropriate.
• Manages, trains, motivates, mentors, and coaches Accounting Department team members.
• Handles difficult personnel issues directly, using appropriate discretion and respect for all involved.
• Follows all Whitefish Credit Union, Montana and Federal information privacy guidelines.
• Adheres to all Whitefish Credit Union policies and procedures.
• Reports to work on time and as scheduled.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally, in writing, and over the phone, with Members, Co-workers, Accounting Personnel, and Senior Management.
• Excellent problem solving and negotiation skills.
• Strong analytical and organizational skills.
• Ability to produce effective written policy documents, using proper sentence structures, punctuation, grammar and spelling.
• Ability to manage time, resources, and personnel, with working knowledge of principles and practices of supervision, training and performance evaluation.
• Willingness to establish Departmental schedules to ensure continuous Departmental coverage and equal break times for all employees.
• Ability to prioritize work and oversee multiple simultaneous projects.
• Willingness to pursue and obtain additional professional training and/or certifications as needed.
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field.
• 5+ years on-the-job experience in an accounting environment.
• 1-2 years of supervisory experience preferred.
• Financial Institution experience preferred.
This job description is to be considered a general outline of the duties and responsibilities of this position and is subject to changes and revisions by management at any time. Responsibilities are listed as guidelines only and the job is not necessarily limited to these specifications.