Flathead County RN Clinic Nurse in Kalispell, Montana
Flathead County is an equal opportunity employer. Flathead County shall, upon request, provide reasonable accommodations to otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities.
This job description is intended to reflect core areas of responsibility and an incumbent employees’ knowledge and skill set needed to complete those functions. This document is not intended to catalog each individual duty; employees are routinely called upon to address emerging employer requirements in alignment with individual work units and assignments of jobs. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer change.
Job Title: RN Clinic Nurse Job Code: 13380
Department: Health Department
Reports to: Executive Director/Clinic Manager Pay Grade: Health 8 or 9
FLSA Status: 1 Non-Exempt 0 Exempt
Department Overview: The Flathead City-County Health Department is a public health agency providing certain statutorily-mandated services and other contracted services to people who reside in or visit Flathead County. The divisions of the Health Department offering primary prevention services include: Environmental Health Services, Community Health Services, Health Promotion and the Flathead County Animal Shelter. The Health Department offers primary health care services through the Flathead Community Health Center, Flathead Family Planning and Flathead County Home Health. Environmental Health services offered include food safety, water quality and land use development and air quality. Community Health services offered include communicable disease prevention and control, immunization services, maternal, infant and early childhood managed care programs and the Women Infant and Children (WIC) program. Health promotion services offered include cancer screening, tobacco use prevention, injury prevention and public health preparedness. The Flathead Community Health Center is a federally qualified health center and Flathead Family Planning clinic is operated under Title X of the Public Health Service Act. The Flathead Community Health Center and Flathead Family planning provide team based patient centered medical, reproductive, dental and behavioral health care. Flathead County Home Health is a licensed home health care agency offering professional care services to homebound patients.
Job Summary: Under supervision of the Community Health Center Clinic Manager, provides clinical assistance to patients, providers and support staff to assure efficient utilization of staff, services and time management. This role will perform work as a registered nurse and provide case management, nursing services, client flow assessment, education tasks for clients and staff and may be involved in policy development and adherence as required.
Essential Functions (Major Duties or Responsibilities): These duties are the essential functions and are not all-inclusive of all duties that the incumbent performs.
• Assist providers and clinical staff in direct patient care to include but not limited to treadmills, IV’s, blood draws, family planning and other nursing duties as assigned.
• Provide client case management and disease specific management services.
• Assist in the development, review and revision of policies, procedures and staff proficiencies.
• Participate in quality assurance activities.
• Provide phone and patient triage.
• Coordinate with other clinical staff in ordering of supplies, vaccine, etc.
• Provide educational services to patients and staff as needed.
• Provide back up for front office and clinic staff
• Assess policy adherence for laboratory, instrument sterilization and pharmacy.
• Facilitate meetings or trainings as directed.
• Assist with the development and adherence of Patient Centered Medical Home.
• Adherence to HIPAA principals.
• Coordinate programs such as Vaccine for Children, Coumadin monitoring and others as directed.
• Performs related duties as required or directed.
Incumbents may be requested to perform functions relevant to the position but not listed above.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Work is performed in an office and clinic environment and requires typical range of motion and physical agility associated with the operation of office and medical equipment. During the course of work an incumbent in this position may be exposed to body fluids and may be required to use personal protective equipment. This position is subject to non-DOT drug and alcohol testing.
Supervision Exercised: This position will not supervise staff but may coordinate the work of others.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Working knowledge of nursing practices related to acute and chronic complex medical conditions
• Knowledge of current medical standards in primary care and family planning;
• Knowledge of current immunization standards;
• Knowledge of principles of case management and motivational interviewing;
• Knowledge of HIPAA confidentiality requirements and practices;
• Knowledge of OSHA standards in clinical settings;
• Knowledge of community resources for patient referral;
• Knowledge of Patient Centered Medical Home model.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing;
• Ability to analyze data and write reports;
• Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of all Health Center matters;
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers, other agency personnel and the public;
• Ability to manage clinic flow:
Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing from an accredited university School of Nursing (may be waived for Associates Degree in Nursing and equivalent experience in position specific to job duties)
Preference to candidate with at least two years of experience in primary care setting and experience in triage both phone and in person.
Action: Date: Reference:
Adopted 8/20/2012 Commissioners’ Minutes
Revised 11/7/2012 Commissioners’ Minutes
Revised 10/1/2013 Commissioners’ Minutes
Revised 9/28/2015 Commissioners’ Minutes