University of Montana Facilities Associate, UM Housing in Missoula, Montana
The Facilities Associate within UM Housing is an entry level position that performs beginning to intermediate routine custodial duties, including, but not limited to, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, floor stripping and refinishing, trash removal, and sanitizing; and performs general maintenance, including, but not limited to, changing light bulbs and filters and supplying paper products and soap.
This position provides direct customer service to members of the campus and to the community at large; builds and maintains a work atmosphere of trust and respect by establishing open communication among team members, recognizing the value of individual differences at all levels of the organization, taking steps to prevent destructive conflict and handling conflict in an appropriate manner, listening and responding appropriately to the needs, feelings, and capabilities of all individuals, and providing support and assistance to team members;
This position on occasion provides supervision to 1-6 student custodians who are hired during summer and winter breaks to help with the cleaning of our facilities. This position will provide leadership to the temporary student custodians by offering support, organization, and guidance.
This position requires incumbent to develop the ability to learn new equipment and must possess, or be able to obtain, a Structural and Institutional Applicator License for extermination spraying of insects.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and maintain a safe work environment.
- Ability to effectively work in a team environment; create and maintain a work atmosphere of trust and respect with all team members.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse population.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise leadership skills.
- Demonstrated ability to read instructions, safety information, policies and procedures, and write.
- Demonstrated skill in customer service orientation.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, listening, and oral communication skills.
- Ability to be organized and effectively manage time.
(Qualified candidates must be able to meet minimum requirements and perform the primary functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.)
- Lifting: Floor to 30 inches, 50 lbs. Floor to 60 inches, 35 lbs. Floor to 72 inches, 20 lbs. Floor to overhead, 5 lbs sustained, with both hands. (Lifting buffer, Floor to 30”, 70 lbs optional.)
- Carrying: 2 handed front carry 35 lbs for 50 feet. One or 2 handed carry of 40 lbs up and down stairs. (Carrying buffer up stairs, 70 lbs optional.)
- Pushing and pulling forces required (handling linen cart 45 lbs, during the use of cleaning equipment 25 lbs, handling janitor’s cart 5 lbs).
- Pushing and pulling forces required (handling, pushing and pulling classroom and office furniture, file cabinets, and equipment): 30 lbs sustained at waist level (60 lbs peak)
- Static trunk forward bending and twisting from a standing, crouching or kneeling position while using tools.
- Reaching with your arms in all directions, including overhead with 5 lbs in both hands, sustained.
- Working overhead (sustained) from various positions (standing, squatting, and kneeling).
- Occasional climbing of stairs, carrying cleaning supplies and equipment, weighing up to 40 lbs.
- Balancing when climbing and working on a ladder.
- Use of various hand grip circumferences and firm hand grip positions while manipulating various tools and equipment (maximum 50 lbs).
- Driving 15 person van.
Physical Screen will be administered prior to a final offer of employment.
Minimum Required Experience
- High School diploma and one (1) year of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
About UM Housing and UM
UM Housing provides safe, clean, healthy, and affordable living and learning facilities that fosters an inclusive community living environment for students, staff, faculty, and guests. The UM Housing Office manages three areas, Residence Halls, Lewis and Clark Village, and University Villages, which provides a variety of housing options for single students, students with dependents, and University guests. Services provided in these facilities support and nurture educational experiences and personal development at the University of Montana.
The University of Montana provides a culture that values hard work, intellectual curiosity, diversity, collegiality, innovative thinking, and teamwork, making it a great place to grow and develop professionally. The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its essential values of innovation and creativity, impact, openness, and partnership.
Position Title: Facilities Associate
Position Number: 105520, 105400, 107550
Department: UM Housing
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM, 12 months/year.
Salary: $13.370/hr – Position may be hired at Facilities Assistant ($12.846/hr), or Facilities Associate ($13.370/hr), dependent on qualifications. The position is designed for career ladder progression; advancement from Facilities Assistant to Facilities Associate is expected within 12 to 18 months. Current employee’s rate of pay for this position will be determined by the staff compensation plan and may be different from the posted salary.For questions and details regarding the staff compensation plan, email the Compensation Department.
Union Affiliation: MPEA
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include: Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's PreferenceReasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date:*Sunday, May 20, 2018*
Complete applications received by this date will be guaranteed consideration. Application review will begin on Monday, May 21, 2018 and continue until the position is filled. To receive full consideration, candidates are required to submit all of the following materials online via "New Resume/CV" button below
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related the stated required skills for the position.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Need additional help? Check out our UM Jobs FAQ website.
Job Location: Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular
Tracking Code: 1960-254