GREAT NORTHERN DEVELOPMENT CORP Food & Ag Development Center Director in WOLF POINT, Montana
The Food & Agriculture Development Center (FADC) Director is a full-time position responsible for facilitating Food & Agriculture Business Development that contributes to the success and diversity of the agriculture industry in eastern Montana. This position reports directly to the Great Northern Development Corporation (GNDC) Executive Director. This position will administer the GNDC Food and Agriculture Development Center contract with the Montana Department of Agriculture:
Essential Duties, Responsibilities, and Expectations:
- Work closely with the GNDC SBDC Director to counsel producers, manufacturers, or producer groups one-on-one.
- Identify and secure resources to move value-added ag projects forward, including grant identification, writing, and loan application assistance.
- Assist producers in developing applications to the Montana Department of Agriculture Growth Through Agriculture, the USDA Value Added Agriculture Producer Grant programs, and other grant programs as applicable.
- Assist producers in developing business, marketing, and financial plans for start-up and expansion of value-added and agricultural production.
- Conduct networking and outreach activities to promote the FADC and encourage more value-added agriculture and food production and processing in eastern Montana.
- Travel to meet with clients, and potential clients, conduct workshops and training, and meet with potential stakeholders and partners.
- Collaborate with stakeholders and partners to organize an annual event around value-added and production agriculture in eastern Montana.
- Plan, analyze, and implement strategies to promote economic development in eastern Montana.
- Assist producers by developing infrastructure for small-scale food processing and food-business incubation using locally grown products.
- Implementation of the goals and objectives of the Food and Agriculture Development Center at Great Northern Development Corporation
- Perform other duties as necessary or assigned by the Executive Director.
- Monitor and assist the Food & Agriculture Development Specialist position hosted within the FADC partner organization, Eastern Plains Economic Development Corporation.
- Minimum Education Level: Bachelor's Degree in a related field OR 3 years of comparable experience desired
- Professional experience implementing specific project goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated competency in persuasive writing, team collaboration, effective verbal and written communication, and attention to detail.
- Skilled in coordinating large, complex projects, meeting deadlines, and working effectively under pressure.
- The ability to prepare written reports to funding partners and present summaries of collaboration and leveraging efforts to the GNDC Board of Directors, Montana Department of Agriculture, and other stakeholders.
- Competency in the development and tracking of budgets and understanding financial statements.
- Experience with public speaking and group facilitation
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications (Excel and Word) is necessary, ability to learn client management software and funder reporting platforms.
- Must be willing and able to travel extensively throughout the FADC service region. Some overnight and state/national travel may be necessary.
- The position requires the ability to communicate regularly with the public, co-workers, and stakeholder groups and speak comfortably in front of small and medium audiences.
- Must be self-motivated and willing to work creatively and independently.
- Knowledge of Montana agriculture, value-added processes, and economic development
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to collaborate and facilitate projects across other programs and organizations.
- Experience working with a Board of Directors of non-profit organization.
- Administrative and project management experience
- Working knowledge of State, Federal, and private capitalization programs
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Fast-paced general office environment. Regular travel is necessary both within and outside the state for organizational-specific events or during employment. Requires sitting for extended periods, standing, visual acumen, manual dexterity, detailed verbal communications, and fine finger manipulation for working with computer keyboards and other typing and/or written/visual communication.
A Montana driver's license is required, with the ability to drive across the state by car. Frequent travel is required within Great Northern Development Corporation's EMBC service area. The service area comprises 15 out of the 16 easternmost counties in Montana. Occasional travel outside the region, including overnight travel to attend meetings, workshops, and training seminars, is also required. Must be able to stand and walk short distances, stoop and bend, and handle and lift books, papers, and office equipment up to 50 pounds.
This position reports directly to the GNDC Executive Director.
Benefits that come with this position:
Competitive salary based on experience and qualifications.
Benefits package includes
- 100% employer-paid health insurance for employees; dental and vision (employee paid)
- Employer contribution to a retirement savings program
- Sick leave, paid holidays, and vacation.
- Flexible work schedule: the employee is not required to be in Wolf Point GNDC office daily; telework is available upon the Executive Director's approval.
Position Open Until Filled
TO APPLY: Submit a cover letter, resume, three professional references and optional letters of recommendation to the address below or by email to
Tori Matejovsky, Executive Director, Great Northern Development Corporation, 233 Cascade Street, Wolf Point, MT 59201